After the storm

Day After Wells Storm 6/12/13

[lin_video src=×9&auto_next=1&auto_start=0&div_id=videoplayer-1371167302&height=360&page_count=5&pf_id=9620&show_title=1&va_id=4095795&width=640&windows=2 service=syndicaster width=640 height=360 div_id=videoplayer-1371167302 type=script]

WELLS, MN — Thursday’s sun has helped dry up some of the water in southern Minnesota, but it did not help get rid of the debris in the yards and streets of Wells.

“We were just watching it and we saw the walnut tree go and the next thing you know this, probably 50 some years old, tree toppled over, just snapped. I’m glad it didn’t go into my house,” said Christina Thomas of Wells.

Thomas is not the only one with a mess to clean up. The yards and streets of Wells are filled with leaves and trees.

It made it pretty hard for her to pick up her kids after the storm.

“It took me 20 minutes to get across town. Many power lines were down and the streets were blocked with trees and the flooding was awful,” Thomas said.

That flooding caused her even more of a headache.

“My van stalled, I had to come walking home at ten at night to get the truck and try and drive across town,” Thomas said.

Even the mayor of Wells has a mess of his own.

“I’ve got about a foot of water in my basement, so I know what everybody’s feeling,” said Mayor Ron Gaines of Wells.

He saw what the city is left with to clean up.

“The streets were impassable last night, I drove around just to see how much damage there was and you couldn’t get through most of the streets,” Gaines said.

Now that they have had time to assess the damage, they hope to clean the city streets as quickly as possible.

“There’s county, state, local all working to haul branches of debris and at this point that’s what we’re, we want to get streets open and passable, of course, for emergency vehicles,” Gaines said.

It is all just another day to add to the list of weird weather we have seen this year.

“It’s unbelievable because one day it’s really cold, the next day it’s hot and then we got this storm and didn’t think it was going to get this bad,” Thomas said.

Gaines said there is thousands of dollars of damage to one of the police department’s squad cars. He said as far as buildings, there did not seem to be too much damage other than some shingles that came off of roofs.

He said they will see if they can apply for federal support in their clean up efforts.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s