Rebels in east Congo claim army has attacked them

GOMA, Congo (AP) — Rebels in eastern Congo say the Congolese army has attacked their positions, ending a six-week lull in fighting.

A spokesman for the M23 rebel movement, Kabasha Amani, said government troops attacked rebel positions early Saturday.

He said the fighting took place in the village of Munigi, about 6 miles (10 kilometers) north of the provincial capital Goma, which the M23 briefly occupied last November.

Amani said there had been casualties and the fighting was continuing.

An army spokesman Colonel Olivier Hamuli said the fighting on Saturday was between the rebels and Congolese ‘Mai-Mai’ militia. He denied that government troops were involved.

The government and M23 resumed peace negotiations in Uganda in early June.

blog comments powered by Disqus