MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A Minneapolis woman has pleaded guilty to kidnapping a friend’s baby in February, a disappearance that triggered an Amber Alert.
The Hennepin County attorney’s office says 30-year-old Isabel Diaz-Castillo pleaded guilty last week.
Diaz-Castillo is expected to receive a three-year sentence on Aug. 19.
According to the complaint, Diaz-Castillo had befriended the boy’s mother after meeting her at a Laundromat about a month earlier and had taken “an extreme interest” in her 8-month-old son.
The boy’s mother told police she had left her son secured in a car seat on the couch in her south Minneapolis apartment. When she came out of the shower, her baby was gone.
When police found Diaz-Castillo in the basement of her brother’s house, she refused to hand over the child, saying “That’s my baby.”