4 hospitalized from pesticide at Miami airport

MIAMI (AP) — Four people were hospitalized after authorities say a small pesticide container spilled at the Miami International Airport.

Miami-Dade Fire Rescue reports that a passenger’s bag was on a loading ramp Monday afternoon when a 3-ounce bottle marked as shampoo spilled out.

The Miami Herald (http://goo.gl/x1b6i7 ) reports that four people initially complained of headaches from the smell of the pesticide. Two of them began to vomit and complained of abdominal pain. They were taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital. A fifth person was treated at the airport.

A hazmat team contained the substance.

Airport officials say the bag’s owner was flying through Miami from Port-au-Prince, Haiti, to Baltimore, Md. Officials say the pesticide was homemade, but it wasn’t clear why the passenger had it. Authorities didn’t immediately release the passenger’s name or possible charges.

___

Information from: The Miami Herald, http://www.herald.com

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s