SIOUX CITY, Iowa (AP) — Counselors will be available for Sioux City students and school district staffers following the deaths of two staff members in a house fire.
District officials told the Sioux City Journal (http://bit.ly/19EjzSH) that five counselors from the school district’s crisis team met with students at Liberty Elementary School on Friday. Officials say counselors will be available as long as necessary.
Susan Smid and her husband, Stephen Smid, both 58, were found dead Thursday morning in their fire-damaged home in Riverside.
Susan Smid taught music at Liberty and in parochial schools. Stephen Smid had worked for school district’s food services.
Investigators say the Smids died from smoke inhalation when a fire started on top of a stove. The fire later died out because of a lack of oxygen.
Information from: Sioux City Journal, http://www.siouxcityjournal.com