Syria agrees to UN probe of alleged chemical attack

DAMASCUS, Syria (AP) — The United Nations confirms it’s reached an agreement with Syria allowing international experts to visit the site of an alleged chemical weapons attack on the outskirts of Damascus last week.

A U.N. spokesman says the Syrian government has “affirmed that it will provide the necessary cooperation,” and that a team of U.N. experts already in Syria “is preparing to conduct on-site fact-finding activities’” on Monday.

Syrian state television says the two sides are working to finalize the date and time.

Anti-government activists and the international aid group Doctors Without Borders say more than 300 people were killed in the alleged toxic gas attack in the eastern suburbs of the Syrian capital.

A senior Obama administration official says there is “very little doubt” that a chemical weapon was used by Syria against civilians, and the president is considering how to respond.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s