Officials look into oxygen tank fire in Des Moines

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — Authorities say a person who was smoking a cigarette while on a home oxygen tank caused an apartment fire in Des Moines.

Des Moines firefighters say two residents suffered smoke inhalation during the Tuesday night fire. The individual smoking the cigarette also suffered burns and was transported to a hospital burn unit.

The fire was contained to one apartment and was extinguished by the building’s sprinkler system. Damage to the building is estimated at $20,000.

The Des Moines Register reports ( ) this is the city’s third fire this year that’s related to someone smoking while on home oxygen.


Information from: The Des Moines Register,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s