Officials: SE Iowa fire victim overcome by smoke

BURLINGTON, Iowa (AP) — Officials say a fire the killed a southeast Iowa man in his mobile home was accidental.

Burlington Fire Marshal Mark Crooks told The Hawk Eye newspaper ( Wednesday that the fire that killed 75-year-old Jerry E. Hensen started in his kitchen.

Crooks says Hensen apparently tried to extinguish the fire early Tuesday, but he was overcome by smoke. The fire was caused by an electrical problem.

The fire had burned itself out by the time rescue workers arrived.

Medical Examiner Eugenio Torres has ruled Hensen’s death accidental and caused by asphyxiation due to carbon monoxide poisoning.


Information from: The Hawk Eye,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s