NY judge nixes release of Guantanamo detainee pics

NEW YORK (AP) — A New York judge has refused to order the release of photographs and video of a Saudi citizen detained at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, in the investigation of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

Authorities have said Mohammed al-Qahtani (kah-TAH’-nee) narrowly missed being the 20th hijacker when he was denied entry into the U.S. at an Orlando, Fla., airport. Charges against him were dropped.

The Center for Constitutional Rights sued the government last year in Manhattan. The organization said the release of videotapes and photographs of his interrogation were in the public interest.

Federal Judge Naomi Reice (rees) Buchwald said Friday that the images were properly classified by the government.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s