Israel PM: Settlers to return to contested home

JERUSALEM (AP) — The Israeli prime minister has given the go-ahead for Jewish settlers to re-occupy a contested West Bank building.

Monday’s order comes in response to the death of an Israeli soldier near the biblical city of Hebron.

Benjamin Netanyahu’s office says in a statement that he has “ordered immediate action” for settlers to go into the house, which they briefly occupied last year.

The settlers claim they purchased the house from a Palestinian. The military evicted them because they hadn’t received authorization to live there.

Netanyahu’s office refused to elaborate further how the order would be implemented. Military spokesman Guy Inbar says the army is still investigating the settlers’ claim of purchase.

Also, Israel’s military says it’s still searching for the gunmen behind Sunday’s killing of the soldier in Hebron.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s