Minn. Orchestra says musicians let offer expire

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Management of the Minnesota Orchestra says its locked-out musicians have let a contract offer expire with no counteroffer.

The orchestra’s management says the offer expired at 5 p.m. Monday. Management says the union did not respond to the proposal offered to musicians on Sept. 14.

A union spokesman says the proposal was the same one that musicians have previously rejected by unanimous votes.

The proposal came out of a confidential mediation process. Details were not released.

Management says salary cuts and other concessions are needed to keep the orchestra solvent. Both sides are working with mediator George Mitchell.

Osmo Vanska has threatened to resign as music director if the orchestra has to cancel concerts set for November at Carnegie Hall. He has said rehearsals need to begin by next Monday.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s