Non-essential staff return to US Embassy in Beirut

WASHINGTON (AP) — The State Department says all non-emergency workers who were ordered out of the U.S. Embassy in Beirut last month are being allowed to return to their jobs.

The department told all non-essential U.S. personnel to leave Lebanon on Sept. 6 because of fears that an American-led strike on neighboring Syria would unleash more bloodshed in the already fragile nation.

The Obama administration threatened to launch punitive missile strikes against Syria over an Aug. 21 chemical weapons attack, prompting a flurry of diplomatic efforts to forestall a strike.

Those efforts concluded with last week’s U.N. Security Council resolution endorsing the elimination of Syria’s chemical weapons.

A travel warning the department issued Thursday continues to urge U.S. citizens to avoid travel to Lebanon because of violence spilling over from the Syrian crisis.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s