Minn. man shocked after climbing utility pole

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A 24-year-old Plymouth man who climbed an electric utility pole near the University of Minnesota is hospitalized in critical condition after he came into contact with live wires.

A Minneapolis Star Tribune report (http://bit.ly/19k5g6w ) says a witness saw Steven C. McKinney on the ground in flames. His arms were burned and blood was running from his mouth.

Minneapolis police say they were told McKinney is an experienced climber. He scaled the pole Wednesday about 1:30 a.m. and came into contact with the wires. He was knocked to the ground and a transmitter exploded, knocking out power to the area.

Kaylin Graff lives near the intersection where McKinney was hurt. She says she heard his friend yelling to get water, and she saw McKinney engulfed in a ball of fire.


Information from: Star Tribune, http://www.startribune.com

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s