Fatal St. Paul fire blamed on careless smoking

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Inspectors say a fire in St. Paul that left one man dead was caused by careless smoking in bed.

The fire in the Frogtown neighborhood was reported about 7:45 p.m. Sunday. Fire officials say eight family members got out safely but a family friend sleeping in the basement was unable to escape.

Fire Chief Tim Butler says the basement bedroom lacked adequate egress windows, so the fire trapped the victim inside.

The name of the 38-year-old victim was not immediately released. The medical examiner says he died of smoke inhalation.

Officials say a smoke alarm alerted the family to the fire, but three of home’s smoke alarms were disconnected.

One family member singed his hair while trying to rescue the man trapped in the basement, but didn’t require hospital treatment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s