CLIVE, Iowa (AP) — A central Iowa family is picking up the pieces after a late night fire caused extensive damage to a home they had just moved into.
Kari Bassett Engesser and her husband, Danny Engesser, awoke early Sunday to find their new Clive home in flames. They grabbed their 6-month-old son and escaped into the frigid weather.
The Des Moines Register reports (http://dmreg.co/IBcGZV ) the house sustained $150,000 in damage. Officials are still determining the cause of the fire, which the Engessers believe is connected to the fireplace.
The family has since been staying with new neighbors, but insurance will cover a hotel stay. In the meantime, they’re using social media to keep others updated on their progress, and donations for clothing and other items are being accepted.
Information from: The Des Moines Register, http://www.desmoinesregister.com