ROCHESTER, Minn. – Authorities say a 63-year-old man nearly died Monday morning in a Rochester bar.
The Rochester Fire Department says they were called to Roosters Bar at 2280 Superior Drive Northwest on a report of a man collapsing.
Law enforcement say the CO2 tanks, which put the fizz in carbonated beverages, started leaking. When an employee checked on it, he was overcome with the lack of oxygen and collapsed. Authorities say co-workers and patrons of the bar tried to heroically get into the basement to save the man, but were turned back because they could not breath.
Once fire crews arrived on scene, they kept other folks back from the dangerous air. Rescuers were able to get to the man and transport him to St. Mary’s Hospital.
The victim, who collapsed, did survive, though it’s unknown the extent of his injuries. Authorities say he’s lucky to be alive.