Turkey-Mushroom Burgers with Scallion-Lemon Mayonnaise
Source: EatingWell | 6 servings | Active Time: 55 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
All you need:
- 2 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread, crusts removed, torn into pieces
- 8 ounces white mushrooms
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound lean ground turkey breast (see Tips)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 1/2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 whole-wheat buns
- 1/4 cup nonfat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Pinch of salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
All you do:
- To prepare burgers: Place bread in a food processor and pulse into fine crumbs. Transfer to a large bowl. Pulse mushrooms in the food processor until finely chopped.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and the mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Add to breadcrumbs and let cool completely, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare mayonnaise: Combine sour cream, mayonnaise, scallions, lemon zest, lemon juice, pinch of salt and pepper in a small bowl; whisk until blended.
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Add ground turkey, egg, dill, mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to the mushroom mixture; mix well with a potato masher. With dampened hands, form the mixture into 6 patties, 1/2 inch thick, using about 1/8 cup for each.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tips). Brush the patties with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Grill until no longer pink in the center, about 5 minutes per side. (An instant-read thermometer inserted in the center should register 165°F.) Meanwhile, split buns and toast on the grill for 30 to 60 seconds. Serve burgers on buns with the mayonnaise, lettuce and tomato.
Per serving : 321 Calories; 12 g Fat; 3 g Sat; 3 g Mono; 77 mg Cholesterol; 33 g Carbohydrates; 23 g Protein; 5 g Fiber; 656 mg Sodium; 563 mg Potassium
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare patties through Step 5. Wrap individually and refrigerate for up to 8 hours or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before cooking. Cover and refrigerate mayonnaise (Step 3) for up to 2 days.
- Tips: Check labels carefully and select ground turkey breast. Regular ground turkey, which is a mixture of dark and white meat, has a higher fat content (similar to that of lean ground beef).
- Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to coat the food with cooking spray.