Minneapolis: Time for foam food containers to go

KIMT WEB News

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The Minneapolis City Council has voted to step up enforcement of a decades-old ordinance that bans restaurants and other businesses from using polystyrene containers.

The Star Tribune reports the City Council voted Friday that it would lower the fine for violators, but step up enforcement.

City Council member Andrew Johnson says city health and food inspectors haven’t been consistently checking for the banned packaging, but now they will be doing it consistently.

Johnson estimates there could be as many as 10 million polystyrene containers in Minneapolis trash each year. The Minneapolis ban will take effect next April.

At a public hearing earlier this month, some opponents who represent the packaging industry told council members the ordinance would take away consumer choice and that recycling polystyrene foam is possible.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

blog comments powered by Disqus