Getting paid to conserve land

Reinvest in Minnesota

AUSTIN, Minn. – Some southern Minnesota landowners could get quite a bit of money to turn some acreage into conservation land.

Through the state’s Reinvest in Minnesota (RIP) program, eligible landowners could get between $7,200 and $7,900 per acre.

With that, they would allow the local conservation districts to use their land for native plants and species.

“The ideal situation would be to use this program on maybe marginal lands like where you don’t get a good crop. That could be a floodplain or things like that, areas that might experience a lot of soil erosion,” said James Fett, Watershed Technician with the Mower County Soil and Water Conservation District (SWCD).

It is critical for helping with soil erosion and it increases the habitat for wildlife.

“You get to keep the land. It can never be open to public hunting, unless you allow it to be open to public hunting and it’s just a good way to have your own little private wildlife area,” Fett said.

If you have got some existing Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) land, you can still take part.

For more information call the Mower County SWCD at 507-434-2603 or stop by their office at 1408 21st Ave NW in Austin.

blog comments powered by Disqus