MASON CITY, Iowa – The two wheel tour is coming up fast. On July 23rd , thousands of RAGBRAI riders will be coming through Mason City. Once the riders arrive, they’re going to need some help getting from their campsites to downtown for showers and food.
Mason City Public Transit Services is working on a plan to accommodate both riders and residents. They will be running their normal transit routes with some changes, while incorporating a shuttle service. They say these routes should help reduce the anticipated parking congestion and traffic in the downtown areas.
“Everything is taking place north of Highway 122. That is what we are concentrating on for the day, We’ll have four routes, and rather than keeping our old names we’ll have different names using different colors. We have orange, red, blue, and green,” says Manager Pat Otto.
She says it’s very important that the regular transit patrons look at the map posted here, or on transit stops. That way, they will know what will be changing ahead of time, and be able to make accommodations.
Here are the major changes provided by Mason City Neighbor Services and Transit.
- The Central Park transfer point has been moved one block east to the parking lot on the northwest corner of 1st St. NE and N. Delaware Ave. directly behind Brick Furniture.
- Buses will run from 10:00 a.m. on July 23rd to 12:30 a.m. on July 24th. There will be four routes that day, with buses operating every 10 to 15 minutes during the peak periods of 4:00 p.m. to 12:30 a.m.
- No routes will be running south of Highway 122.
- No money will be collected. Rides will be offered on a free-will donation basis. Passengers with monthly passes, do not need to show them.
- The Orange Route will travel Hwy. 122 West, and stop at the K-Mart parking lot and the All-Seasons building at the Events Center.
- The Blue Route will stop at Hoover Elementary School and West Park.
- The Red Route will stop at East Park on N. Carolina, the Aquatic Center, the East Park Gazebo on N. Kentucky, in front of Prairie Playground and the main entrance to East Park on E. State St.
- The Green Route will stop at John Adams Middle School main entrance. at the Muse Norris Softball Complex and the stops along E. State St.