Walk to End Alzheimer’s


MASON CITY, Iowa-  The Walk to End Alzheimer’s event was held at Mason City High School on Saturday.

Around 150 people participated in the two mile walk, from folks supporting the cause to those who suffer from the disease themselves.

Walk Coordinator Greg Woods said the event helps bring awareness to the nations sixth leading cause of death and raise money for the disease that doesn’t receive as much funding as other diseases.

“What were trying to do here through this walk is not only be a fundraiser that benefits the local area but in broader sense be a support group,” said Woods. “They are not alone in a fight that can make them feel very isolated and powerless. By getting out here an doing something by walking with other people and raising money that actually stays in the area, they’re feeling like they’re doing something to fight it and that’s a really powerful thing.”

Woods said organizers have raised more than $22,000. He said 78 percent of the money will be used locally to benefit support groups, education programs and workshops. The remaining 22 percent will go towards research at a national level.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s