ROCHESTER, Minn. – Olmsted County Attorney Mark Ostrem announced Wednesday that no charges will be filed in the death of 15-year-old Jose Negrete, who died from stab wounds inflicted by a teen boy during a fight in July.
Early July 1, a fight broke out in the parking lot of Domino’s Pizza North with several teens present. The investigation has indicated that those primarily involved were Negrete and another teen. Based on interviews, investigators say it is clear that there had been earlier confrontations between Negrete and this group.
Ultimately, the investigation concluded that Negrete approached the group to rob them. During that attempted robbery, Negrete pulled out a large hunting knife and stabbed the teen, who suffered a wound to the neck before stabbing Negrete with the same knife. Negrete died from the injury.
Ostrem says the teen’s use of deadly force was reasonable and necessary. He says the state wouldn’t be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the teen didn’t act in self-defense.
“It is clear from the investigation that, while the stab wounds that caused Mr. Negrete’s death were inflicted by the identified juvenile male, Mr. Negrete was the initial primary aggressor and the juvenile male responded to that aggression in a manner to protect his own life,” Ostrem added.