Space heater safety

space-heater-safety-natvo

MASON CITY, Iowa – Mason City Fire Marshal Jamey Medlin says when wanting to take the chill out of your home, don’t plug your space heater into an extension cord.  Always plug it directly into the wall.  Another tip, make sure your space heater has plenty of room around it.  Other suggestions include know the wiring in your home.

“It’s very important to pay attention to your wiring.  If you’re unsure your wiring is incapable of supporting your space heater, contact an electrician. Have them take a look at it. If you do have a space heater plugged in and it trips the fuse or breaker then make sure you don’t just replace the breaker or turn it back on,” Medlin said.

Medlin says you should never put a space heater in your child’s room and adds you should turn it off before falling asleep.

Space heaters caused fires in both Albert Lea and Rochester back in 2014.  In North Iowa, it’s been about 5 years since a space heater caused a fire.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s