KIMT News 3 – Now that Thanksgiving is right around the corner, some of us of KIMT wanted to share with you our favorite recipes for the holiday.
Grandma Novotny’s Date Pinwheel Cookies
1 lb. dates, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
Cook above together for about 15 minutes; allow to cool. Then, add 1 cup of chopped walnuts to cooled mixture.
1 cup softened butter
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
2 tsp. vanilla
4 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
Cream butter; add sugars, eggs and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients (flour, soda & salt) and add to creamed mixture. Chill thoroughly. Divide dough into 3 or 4 portions. Roll out dough on wax paper, spread a thin layer of filling over dough, and roll up (using the waxed paper to aid in rolling). Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Freeze rolls for at least 12 hours. Slice and bake as needed in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes.
**Recipe courtesy of Digital Sales Manager Catherine Buboltz
Funk’s Funky Fried Apples
BAKING & SPICES:
Brown sugar 1/4 cup
Cinnamon 1 tsp.
Cornstarch 2 tbsp.
Granulated sugar 1/4 cup
Vanilla 1 tsp.
Butter 1/4 cup
Bag (approx. 14 oz.) of sliced gala apples or similar.
- Turn crock pot on to hot setting.
- Add bagged apples and 2 tbsp. cornstarch to Ziploc back and toss until apples are covered.
- Transfer apples to crock pot.
- In separate bowl combine granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Cover apples in crock pot with sugar mixture and stir, add melted butter and lemon juice and stir to combine.
- Cook on high for 2 hours or until apples are tender without falling apart.
**Recipe courtesy of reporter Hannah Funk
Raquel’s Rich Rhubarb Pie
Chopped Rhubarb: 4 cups
White Sugar: 1 and 1/3 cups
All-purpose flour 6 tbsp.
Butter: 1 tbsp.
1 recipe pastry for a 9-inch double crust pie.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
- Combine sugar and flour. Sprinkle 1/4 of it over pastry in pie plate. Heap rhubarb over this mixture. Sprinkle with remaining sugar and flour. Dot with small pieces of butter. Cover with top crust.
- Place pie on lowest rack in over. Back for 15 minutes. Reduce over temperature to 350 degrees F and continue baking for 40 minutes to 45 minutes. Serve warm or cold.
**Recipe courtesy of anchor/reporter Raquel Hellman
DeeDee’s Delicious Devils Food Crinkles
Eggs, large 2
BAKING & SPICES:
Confectioners’ sugar for rolling
1 box of devil’s food cake mix
OIL & VINEGAR:
Vegetable Oil 1/2 cup
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, stir dry cake mix with oil and eggs in a large bowl until dough forms. For best results, chill in refrigerator for an hour.
- Fill small bowl with confectioner’s sugar.
- Roll balls in confectioners’ sugar and place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until center is just set.
- Remove from pans after a minute or so and cool on wire racks.
**Recipe courtesy of reporter DeeDee Stiepan
Amy’s Corn Casserole
2 cans creamed sweet corn
2 cans canned corn, drained
2 cups sour cream
½ cup melted butter (1 stick)
2 packets of corn bread mix, ( I use 2 Betty Crocker packets)
2 cups colby jack shredded cheese
Spray cooking spray in crockpot, so the casserole doesn’t stick.
Mix all of the ingredients together, and cook on high in a crockpot for 2 ½ to 3 hours.
Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Serves 20 people
**Recipe courtesy of Amy Fleming, anchor and news content coordinator
Kimmer’s Cherished Cheeseball
2 Blocks cream cheese – softened
3/4 C. Chopped green pepper
3/4 C. Chopped onion
3/4 C. Chopped walnuts
I small can of drained crushed pineapple – No need to have it completely dry!
1 C. Shredded cheddar cheese
1 Tbs. Lawry’s
Mix all ingredients together. Feel free to roll in a ball and coat with nuts if you like! Best when chilled 8 hours or overnight. Serve with crackers.
**Recipe courtesy of evening news anchor, Katie Huinker
MJ’s Quick Cornbread Casserole
1 cup sour cream (lite is OK also)
1/2 cup margarine or 1 stick of butter
- 1/2 oz. can whole kernel corn
1-16 1/2 oz. can cream style corn
1 box Jiffy Cornbread Mix
Mix altogether, corn juice and all in a greased 2-quart casserole.
Bake 1 hour @ 390 degrees (until set in the center)
Serves 4-8 people.
E N J O Y !!!!!!!!