UPDATE: Rochester house fire caused by boiler malfunction

KIMT WEB News

UPDATE: What was previously thought to have been an explosion on Sunday morning has now been determined to be a boiler malfunction.

ROCHESTER, Minn. – A boiler explosion early Sunday morning had Rochester crews fighting both the fire and the weather.

According to officials with the Rochester Fire Department, the call came in around 1:40 a.m. at 4211 28th St. SE. According to the residents of the home, the boiler for their heating system had exploded. Firefighters were forced to fight the flames from outside the home, and were hampered by temperatures which were around -15 degrees Fahrenheit. The cold weather freezes both the hoselines and the gear the firefighters wear.

One of the people in the home was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene.

According to authorities, the house suffered significant damage and is no longer inhabitable. Fire crews were able to contain the fire before it spread to other homes in the area.

Deputy Fire Chief Steve Belau says because of other emergency calls in the city, relief crews were not able to assist the fire department until the fire was out, which was about an hour after it started.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s