One person taken to the hospital after elevated levels of carbon monoxide are detected at Rochester bakery

co2

ROCHESTER, Minn. – The Rochester Fire Department was called to the Gingerbread House Bakery on North Broadway Saturday morning just before 10:00 a.m. after employees reported symptoms consistent with carbon monoxide exposure.

Crews were originally called for an employee who had collapsed. According to Battalion Chief Chris Bailey, once they arrived on scene, three other employees reported feeling sick or having headaches. At that point, the building was evacuated and crews used gas monitors which detected elevated CO levels. The gas monitor to the building was shut off and crews began ventilating. Bailey doesn’t believe there were any customers present at the time.

One person was transported to St. Mary’s hospital for further evaluation.

The gas company was called and an investigation into the source is ongoing. Temporary heating units are being used to allow the business to stay open until gas service can be restored.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s